Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Tootsie

Ok so I have a confession to make. Brace yourself. Sometimes, I feel really ugly. (I know, don't fall out of your chair.) Sometimes I trap myself, thinking that beautiful women - slim, attractive ladies who can wear the latest styles, have a better life than me.

Of course this isnt true. But let's be honest, my mind isn't always interested in silly things like logic or rationality. Puhhhlease.

I have to give myself a kick in the (big & tall) pants sometimes. I have to remind myself that no, I don't look like an ogre or witch, and being big isn't the end of the world. I tell myself to stand up straight and own my height. To wear my size well and be proud of who I am. After all, there is no way for me to exist without this body. So this body represents not only what I look like, but everything good and funny and awful that I AM.

But its a struggle. Even gorgeous celebs like Jessica Alba, Beyonce, and Eva Longoria are airbrushed to oblivion with smaller waists and clearer complexions than likely possible. The average US woman is around a size 14, but being a 16 or (gasp!) 18 is considered "plus-sized" and your style options dramatically decrease the bigger you are. There are so many styles I want to wear but can't - because I'm too big, too tall, too 'me' to fit them. I swear, you guys, I'd be so cute if I was smaller (ugh, seee? there I go again).

Anyway the point is, this: I am really grateful that some people are starting to realize the toll that society's altered images take on women. It's refreshing that people like Gabi Fresh are out there, blogging, working, talking about how larger (ahem, more realistically sized) women can fit in, feel 'fresh' and wear the latest fashions. It helps people like me to feel more inspired, less alone.

This video of Dustin Hoffman really deserves your time. Truly. Watch it. It really was empowering to hear his thoughts on how life would be different if he were a woman. He explains how dressing up as a woman, then wanting to be more beautiful really made it all "click" for him, and its a touching message. How would you be a different person if you were the opposite gender?



Did you watch it? Go ahead. I'll wait.

Men experience societal pressure too. To be manly - and a provider. To be tough - at times violent. To have huge muscles - and smaller feelings. I think it's important to consider both sides of the coin. But I do think the job of being beautiful - and all the crap that entails - is largely left to the women. I say it's time for that to change.




1 comment:

  1. I know exactly how you feel, because I have always been big and tall too. However, the older I get, the more proud I am of my height. Thing is, we are special and unique because there aren't too many women of our stature out there in the world. And we both get to go home at night to someone who thinks we are absolutely stunningly show-stoppingly beautiful. So hold that head high pretty lady. <3

    ReplyDelete